Monday, October 10, 2011

what is in a name

"A picture's worth 1,000 words." How many of you have heard this saying? Basically everyone I'm pretty sure, and this photograph by Robert Doisneau is a perfect example of this figure of speech. I started the article not sure of what it could be about and thinking "I'm probably going to be bored of of my mind reading this, and I won't really care about it enough to write on it" (to be honest). I guess I can start out by saying that this photograph, I believe, is very complex. This gentleman does certainly appear to be making some sort of offer or gesture to this woman, whom seems very "shut off" to what he has to say.

This article showed me that so many people either see or believe certain things because they were lead in that direction in the first place. I think to put it with an article without the consent of the photographer, and in the wrong context is offensive. This woman was called a prostitute, and probably looked down upon based solely  on the article it was paired with. Photographers take pictures for a reason, they see something in the image they have captured that possibly no one else could ever understand.

I think part of the appeal of photography to me is the body language and emotion that can be displayed through not only the photograph, but the editing and work you put into it. I feel like it is so wrong to put something that should be able to speak for itself with context, unless it matches the true meaning of the picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment